What is Wemap?
Wemap is a platform to create, deploy and distribute compelling local information experiences.
Wemap offers a complete solution to import your content (points of interest, events) into a map, reliably serve it at scale, and present it to your users in an engaging and carefully crafted user experience.
Using Wemap presents numerous advantages over “build your own” solutions, including faster time to market, lower maintenance costs and the best user experience for all devices. You can achieve all this while still retaining full control over your content and its appearance.
This technical documentation successively first presents a high level overview of the different
components that are part of the Wemap platform --be they end-user, pro-user or developer facing-- then describes the different
entities that constitute the Wemap, followed by the additional
services that can be found within the Wemap platform.
Who uses Wemap?
- You deliver local information and services to the general public
- Your audience is looking for a practical and efficient way to stay informed about what’s happening around them or in a given area
- You produce (or have access to) geo-localized content and you have multiple communication channels at your disposal (apps, websites, interactive interfaces, etc.)
- You are tasked with conceiving of, developing and quickly shipping information-delivery services at a large-scale.
Then Wemap is for you.
Wemap is used by more than 50 customers in the news and travel industries, and by numerous local authorities. Wemap currently serves more than 10 million maps each month.
See getwemap.com to explore case studies.
Why use Wemap?
Using Wemap presents numerous advantages over “build your own” solutions, including faster time to market, lower maintenance costs and the best user experience for all devices. You can achieve all this while stil retaining full control over your content and its appearance.
A full authoring suite
Whether you are importing existing content from a CMS or creating new content, Wemap has you covered with our web-based authoring tool. You can :
- automatically retrieve data from existing sources using our powerful connectors
- let your editorial team manually create new content
- customise your map’s appearance, behaviour and integration with third-party services
- explore analytics to track how your users engage with your content
- benefit from our network our professional users to leverage their content into your maps.
A rich user experience
Wemap provides you with a pre-built, yet fully customisable navigation experience. We put our years of experience building desktop, tablet and mobile user interfaces at the tip of your fingers.
Wemap provides your users with multiple ways of discovering your content. They can move around on the map to discover points of interest closest to a location, perform full-text search using our powerful search engine, explore similar content by using tags, and much more.
Wemap maps are also fully responsive, which ensures your content looks great across a wide range of devices. This is a significative challenge, as different devices have very different display constraints.
We are also constantly innovating and exploring new ways to engage your users. For instance augmented reality (AR) maps in a browser-based or app-based experience are baked in!
Serving geolocated content at scale can be challenging. Serving the map’s background is only a small part of the equation, you also need to deliver the content reliably when your traffic grows, and accurately track user engagement.
Wemap has extensive experience addressing all these issues, and is trusted by the world’s leading players to serve their traffic-intensive maps.